Althea McNish & John Weiss
current and forthcoming
HOME PAGE: design and history
current and forthcoming
• 12-21 July 2018, Chelsea College of Arts: John Weiss is exhibiting in the Society of Designer Craftsmen exhibition "Designer Crafts at Chelsea 2018".
• 4-6 July 2018, University of London, Inst of Advanced Legal Studies, 42nd Annl Cfe of the Society for Caribbean Studies: John Weiss presents a paper The 'Merikens' of Trinidad: "They Say is Napoleon Who Start This Thing".
• June 2018: Textile: Journal of Cloth and Culture, publication of article on Althea McNish by Christine Checinska.
• 14-25 May 2018, Salters Hall, London : John Weiss is exhibiting with the Designer Jewellers Group.
• 3-4 May 2018, UCL Institute of the Americas, 4th Annl Cfce of the Americas Research Network: John Weiss presents a paper Crossing the borders of confusion: the 'Merikens' of Trinidad.
• 3 May 2018, publication of book " Women Design" by Libby Sellers, Quarto, London, including chapter on Althea McNish.
• 9 March 2018, Constance Howard Gallery, Goldsmiths College: Althea McNish took part in the "Talking Textiles" session in commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the arrival of the Windrush.
• 4-23 December 2017, gallery at 67 York St, London W1H 1QB: John Weiss exhibited with the Designer Jewellers Group.
• 30 November 2017, publication of book "Pop Art and Design", ed.Anne Massey and Alex Seago, Bloomsbury Publishing, including chapter "Althea McNish and the British African diaspora" by Christine Checinska.
• 25-25 November 2017, Goldsmiths Centre, London: John Weiss exhibited with the Designer Jewellers Group.
• July 2017, Royal College of Art, London: in the exhibition of the work of new MA graduates in Textiles, Jacob Patterson received the Althea McNish Colour Prize.
• November 2016 - January 2017, Barbican Centre, London: John Weiss exhibited in the Barbican Shop with the Designer Jewellers Group.
• 30 November 2016, Trinidad: in "Redefining the Merikin Legacy", hosted by the Merikin Commission as part of the bicentennial celebrations of the Merikins community of Trinidad's Company Villages, John Weiss presented a paper on the community's origins in the company of a panel including Professor Bridget Brereton, Professor Brinsley Samaroo, Tina Dunkley and Lisa Atwater.
• 28 November 2016, University of Trinidad and Tobago, Althea McNish and John Weiss gave a presentation to the UTT Caribbean Academy of Fashion and Design on Althea’s international career as a textile designer.
• 25 November 2016, Trinidad: at a gathering to mark the bicentennial of the Merikins community of Trinidad's Company Villages, Althea McNish and John Weiss received commemorative medals.
• October 2016, Cookhouse Gallery, Chelsea College of Arts: printed textile Golden Harvest by Althea McNish was part of the exhibition ‘Now! Now! In more than one place', in connection with the conference ‘Now & Then... Here & There: Black Artists & Modernism'.
• August 2016, Mall Galleries, London: John Weiss exhibitedin Designer Crafts at the Mall 2016, annual exhibition of the Society of Designer Craftsmen. Charlotte Martin received the Pollie Weiss Colour Prize, awarded for the best use of colour by a new Licentiate.
• July 2016, Royal College of Art, London: in the exhibition of the work of new MA graduates in Textiles, Crimson Rose O'Shea received the Althea McNish Colour Prize.
• May-June 2016, Barbican Centre, London: John Weiss exhibitedin the summer exhibition of the Designer Jewellers Group.
for Hull Traders:
Necklace in silver & turquoise
Brooch in 18ct gold
Althea McNish by Derek Tamea, necklace by Paul Hartley, others by John Weiss.
Copyright 2018 © Althea McNish & John Weiss: revn 9 Apr 2018